UPLab – Urban Project Laboratory – is a research (study of territorial and urban phenomena and planning tools), teaching laboratory (PhD and master theses, lectures and internship activities) and, at the same time, it carries out scientific consultancy on environmental and urban planning issues. Professors, researchers, PhD students collaborate together on the various research topics by publishing numerous articles every year in national and international scientific journals as well as educational books, monographs and participating in the scientific community actively.
UPLab’s activity focuses on the concept of the 3S City: smart, sustainable and safe related to the variability of urban phenomena (flexibility). It is mainly framed in the European Research Council (ERC) SH2 Institutions, Values, Environment and Space sector: Political science, law, sustainability science, geography, regional studies and planning and secondly, in the SH3 The Social World, Diversity, Population sector and in the PE6 Computer Science and Informatics sector, for simulation and definition of territory interpretation models.
Therefore, considering cities as complex systems, the core aspects are the cultural approach related to flexibility and the study of planning instruments. The application of smart devices and multidisciplinary ICT models is applied to environmental quality of settlements and to risk analysis, that is practiced to natural or anthropic events and to healthy city.
Sectors and sub-sectors ERC:
- SH2_6 Sustainability sciences, environment and resources;
- SH2_7 Environmental and climate change, societal impact and policy;
- SH2_8 Energy, transportation and mobility;
- SH2_9 Urban, regional and rural studies;
- SH2_10 Land use and regional planning;
- SH2_11 Human, economic and social geography;
- SH2_12 GIS, spatial analysis; big data in political, geographical and legal studies;
- SH3_9 Health, ageing and society;
- PE6_12 Scientific computing, simulation and modelling tools;
- PE10_4 Terrestrial ecology, land cover change;
- PE10_20 Geohazards: earthquakes, landslides, tsunamis and other ground instabilities.